IN TODAY’S world, WHERE THE PEOPLE HAVE MADE IT A TREND OF DRINKING THESE HARMFUL CIGARETTES AND HUKKAH’S. THEY HAVE NO IDEAS HOW MUCH HARMFUL CAN THESE BE FOR THEIR HEALTH.
Hookah smoke contains high levels of toxic compounds, including tar, carbon monoxide, heavy metals and cancer-causing chemicals . In fact,hookah smokers are exposed to more carbon monoxide and smoke than are cigarette smokers. … Hookah smoke poses dangers associated with secondhand smoke.
Hookah smoking is not safer than cigarette smoking.
Also known as a shisha or goza, a hookah is a water pipe with a smoke chamber, a bowl, a pipe and a hose. Specially made tobacco is heated, and the smoke passes through water and is then drawn through a rubber hose to a mouthpiece.
The tobaco is no less toxic in a hokah pipe than in a cigarette, and the water in the hookah does not filter out the toxic ingredients in the tobacco smoke. Hookah smokers may actually inhale more tobacco smoke than cigarette smokers do because of the large volume of smoke they inhale in one smoking session, which can last as long as 62 minutes.
While research about hookah smoking is still emerging, evidence shows that it poses many dangers:
- Hookah smoke contains high levels of toxic compounds, including tar, carbon monoxide, heavy metals and cancer-causing chemicals .
- As with cigarette smoking, hookah smoking is linked to lung and oral cancers, heart disease, and other serious illnesses.
- smoking delivers about the same amount of nicotine as cigarette smoking, possibly leading to tobacco dependence.
- smoke poses dangers associated with secondhand smoke.
- Hookah smoking by pregnant women can result in low birth weight babies.
Using a hookah to smoke tobacco poses serious health risks to smokers and others exposed to the smoke from the hookah.
Hookah Smoke and Cancer
- The charcoal used to heat the tobacco can raise health risks by producing high levels of carbon monoxide, metals, and cancer-causing chemicals.
- Even after it has passed through water, the smoke from a hookah has high levels of these toxic agents.
- Hookah tobacco and smoke contain several toxic agents known to cause lung, bladder, and oral cancers.
- Tobacco juices from hookahs irritates the mouth and increases the risk of developing oral cancers.
Other Health Effects of Hookah Smoke
- Hookah tobacco and smoke contain many toxic agents that can cause clogged arteries and heart disease.1,4
- Infections may be passed to other smokers by sharing a hookah.2
- Babies born to women who smoked water pipes every day while pregnant weigh less at birth (at least 3½ ounces less) than babies born to nonsmokers.5,8
- Babies born to hookah smokers are also at increased risk for respiratory diseases.8
Hookah Smoking Compared With Cigarette Smoking
- While many smokers may think this practice is less harmful than smoking cigarettes, hookah smoking has many of the same health risks as cigarette smoking.
- Water pipe smoking delivers nicotine—the same highly addictive drug found in other tobacco products.
- The tobacco in hookahs is exposed to high heat from burning charcoal, and the smoke is at least as toxic as cigarette smoke.
- Hookah smokers may be at risk for some of the same diseases as cigarette smokers. These include:
- Oral cancer
- Lung cancer
- Stomach cancer and
- Cancer of the esophagus
- Reduced lung function
- Decreased fertility